Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I hate chocolate, except when combined with hazelnuts

Yesterday Bethany and I were having an emotionally charged conversation about old people not liking cute invitations. In a rash moment, I blurted out (via Gchat) “My mom is just lucky that I didn’t fold the invitation like a crepe and put Nutella inside.”

Thus came the greatest idea of the wedding so far: “You should do mini things of Nutella as your favors.”

Oh yes.

Anyone with a brain knows how good Nutella is. Especially paired with bananas. And especially inside crepes.

Like all good things, Nutella comes in small jars that would be perfect as a gift. I’m still unsure whether people will think I’m odd or not. I mean, it’s not exactly the same as gifting a jar of super-crunchy Jif, right? I wonder if our non-hip, non-Euro guests will even know what Nutella is.

Who cares. Nutella!!!!!!!!!

Here’s a picture of a cute set of seven mini jars.



I have an inkling that mini Nutella jars will be:
1. Hard to find. Dumb imports.
2. Not economical.

Regardless, my search starts now. As I told Bethany, I hope people are confused and don’t want the Nutella. That way I can take it all home. I deserve 100 mini jars anyway. Think of all the crepes I could make…

I have a jar of Nutella in my “pantry” (really just half a spice cabinet) that hasn’t had any use in a long time. That needs to change. When I studied in Italy, I had a Nutella and banana sandwich every day for lunch because there was no peanut butter. I also had four helpings of gelato a day. And I still lost 10 pounds!

In honor of Nutella and the glorious Italians who created it (I think. Maybe not. Too lazy to go on Wikipedia.), I am going to make banana and Nutella cupcakes from the blog Bleeding Espresso. Maybe I’ll post some pictures tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Go to Cost Plus World Market. They have baby jars of nutella. Also, you should just try contacting the manufacturer to get a deal.

    P.S. that is an amazing and super cute idea. that beats the regular candy-coated almonds or dumb chocolates. It's YOU, it's delicious, we can dress the jars up really cute or put them in a cellophane bag that's colored fruity like your wedding and include a note or a recipe for using nutella. I love it. I'm going to retell you all of this information on the phone later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like cool fruity crepes.

    Also, are you obsessed with Cost Plus? Because I am (secretly), but you have suggested I go there at least 3 times a day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your Nutella idea! It's perfect...didn't know you went to Italy...mmm gelato (ate some at every opportunity when I was in Rome).
    LOL, I have a jar of Nutella hanging out in my pantry too. Ooh those banana/Nutella cupcakes sound good!

    ReplyDelete