Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ah, yes. The honeymoon.

Finally, something exciting.

Josiah and I have been trying to figure out where we are going to go on our honeymoon. We've actually talked a lot about it (mostly through wishful e-mails at work when we are feeling particularly down). To say the least, we both need a vacation badly. Preferably for a really long time. Like a year? Or the rest of our lives?

Anyway, here are a couple options we've come up with.

  1. Sweden/Netherlands/Denmark


One of our good friends lives in Sweden, and it was a no brainer to have this be a major contender. It would be really great to see him and Scandanavia in the process. I've just really romanticized that part of the world and I'm not sure why. Plus ... TULIPS!

2. Czech Republic/Austria/Hungary



I really know nothing about this part of the world. Everyone says Prague is the coolest city ever. I'll take their word for it. Josiah is really enticed by Prague for some reason, so there's that.

3. The United Kingdom



I'm of the opinion that English speaking countries are a bit boring. I can't say that this would be at the top of my list, but I know it would be sweet. Plus, there would be a ton of good soccer matches to see. Glasgow is pretty much the capital of indie music, so I think that would be a lot of fun.

4. Northern Italy/Switzerland



I spent two months in Italy during the summer of 2007, and it was an amazing experience (of course). I am really conflicted though. Part of me is screaming, "Go back, now!" while the other part wants to explore other parts of Europe. The compromise would be to see northern Italy, which I did not travel to at all during my Italian studies. So, it really wouldn't be a compromise at all. A lot of war-era Italian films took place in the north, as poor Italians moved up to Switzerland to obtain jobs and survive. The area is just so drastically different than the rocky south and the central Italy that is typically thought of -- rolling hills, wineries and cypress trees.

5. France



I hate France and don't want to see it. The Tour de France is enough for me. Josiah wants to go there though, to live out his literary fantasies and follow Hemingway's expatriate footsteps. Icky.

Ideally, we'd bring our bikes to whatever place we end up going. That way we could ride around in the cities and do some light touring. I'm not really sure if the logistics would make sense for a "quick" trip though. And I think it'd depend on which place we go to. I can't say I would enjoy cycling through the Dolomites in northern Italy. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. All wonderful choices! Can't wait to see what you end up choosing.

    ReplyDelete